The purpose of the Lee County Supervisor of Elections (SOE) official social media sites is to encourage courteous communication with the public. Comments will not be edited by staff but may be deleted if found to be in violation of this policy.
Posts (including screen names/images that contain any of the following) are not allowed:
- Obscene, profane, violent, threatening, hateful, harassing, or offensive language or content;
- Personal attacks of any kind, including discrimination based on race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, physical appearance, sexual orientation or financial status;
- Defamation or accusations of criminal conduct or immoral activity. (If a person believes there is a legitimate complaint against the Lee County SOE or one of its employees, they should contact the appropriate department director via telephone or email);
- Sexual content or links to sexual content;
- Solicitations, advertisements, or endorsements of any candidate, political party, financial, commercial, or non-governmental agency;
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Violating copyrights or trademarks;
- Compromising the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Invasion of an individual's right to privacy;
- Promoting or opposing political candidates, campaigns, or ballot measures;
- Off-topic posts or repetitive copied posts.
The Lee County SOE is not liable for the content of comments posted to any Lee County SOE social media site and reserves the right to restrict or remove any content deemed in violation of this social media policy or any applicable law. This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time without notice.
Under Florida law, all content on any Lee County SOE social media site is subject to the public records law, Chapter 119, Florida Statutes. Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communications to or from Lee County SOE employees and officials, regarding Lee County SOE business, are considered public record and can be made available for inspection or copying by the public and media upon request. Any communication made through social networking websites may be subject to public disclosure. Any public disclosure requests must be made directly to the Public Records Custodian, Todd Putnam, email@example.com or 239-533-8683.